FCYO Audition Process
STEP 1 – Pick your ensemble
FCYO offers a range of symphonic, string and chamber ensemble programs. The chart below includes ensemble descriptions, repertoire and rehearsal schedules. Please use this chart to guide your selection of ensemble(s)
STEP 2a – Fill out an Application
Visit the Audition Registration site and fill out the form to register! If you have any troubles with the form, please call or stop by the office and we can help with a hard copy of the form.
- IMPORTANT FOR 2017
- For Debut, Intermezzo, and Aria Strings applicants: IF you have ALREADY been accepted to any orchestras or arts schools for the coming season your audition may be waived. Submit your application as normal and if we need to hear you in audition, we’ll be in touch. If this is your first audition this summer, then go ahead and reserve a time.
- For Youth Philharmonic and Youth Symphony: you are required to perform an audition – either live or video – regardless of your acceptance with other orchestras or arts schools for the coming season. Submit and application and you will receive a return email notifying you of how to sign up for an audition.
- The deadline to submit an application for an audition is August 5th. Audition slots will be filled on a first-come/first-served basis, so don’t wait to apply. After the deadline, you must contact the office to schedule an audition at the liberty of our conductors’ schedules.
- If you are not able to attend and perform a live audition we will have an audition-by-video option. Please check the box on the application that states you need to audition by video. Instructions will be emailed to you. Please note that video auditions are not a substitute for a live audition, and a live audition is always preferable to a video if at all possible.
IMPORTANT – when you fill out the application and/or make an audition reservation, you’ll be asked to create a FCYO ID. This ID will be the first THREE letters of the student’s LAST name and the student’s six digit date of birth. So for violinist John Speiler who was born on April 3, 2001, John’s FCYO ID would be SPE040301.
STEP 2b – Reserve an Audition Time
- When scheduling, the email address must be unique in our system, so if you are registering audition times for multiple children, please use a Parent/Guardian email address that will work for all children. If registering only one student in a family, please use the Students’s name for the new user. Email provided will be used to send the reservation confirmation.
- Please enter your FCYO ID as instructed in the section above.
STEP 3 – Review and Prepare the requirements and excerpts
Open and print the audition requirements.
- If you are a new applicant (you did NOT audition in May) and are auditioning for Debut, Intermezzo, or Aria Strings you DO NOT have any excerpts to prepare. Aria strings has a required ETUDE for each instrument, however. The solo is optional.
- If you are auditioning for Youth Philharmonic you only need to prepare the FIRST excerpt (marked #1) in the file for your instrument below.
- If you are auditioning for Youth Symphony you need to prepare ALL the excerpts in the file for your instrument below.
- All auditions are recorded and reviewed. Strings may change bowing and fingerings with help from your teacher.
- Please remember, you must bring your music to the audition. Copies of the excerpts will not be available at the audition sites.
Excerpts for Youth Symphony and Youth Philharmonic
Required Etude for Aria Strings
Step 4 – Practice!
- Before any FCYO audition, the student should arrive early and warm-up.
- Warm-up space will be available, but students may share with others.
- Parents must be silent in the warm-up area or will be asked to leave.
- The student should plan for a thirty minute warm-up.
- Make sure you have your scales, etude/excerpts (if needed), solo music, pencil, and instrument.
- One copy of your solo piece for the jury is not mandatory, but certainly appreciated.
- Once your audition time arrives, be at your audition site and wait for your name to be called.
- The audition is an important time to not only demonstrate your playing skills, but to show good focus, determination, and an excitement to learn.
Auditions will be held at FSCJ South Campus, 11901 Beach Blvd, Room M2115, Jacksonville, FL 32246