The Intermezzo Strings is a string orchestra for advancing beginner and intermediate level musicians already several years into the study of his/her instrument. The musicians begin to make music with other musicians of similar skills in a conducted ensemble before proceeding on to Aria Strings. Music chosen for the Intermezzo Strings features original and arranged repertoire for advancing beginner string orchestra. Weekly rehearsals and/or sectionals with professional musicians and conductors, several concerts each season. Comparable levels – ASTA Grade 2, Suzuki Method Books 2-3.
Typical Intermezzo Strings concerts will include a wide variety from the standard symphonic literature. Representative works:
- Newbold – Viking
- Sharp – Shadows in the House
- Offenbach – Orpheus in the Underworld, Finale (Dachow)
- Anderson – Blue Tango (Cerulli)
- Silva – On an Eastern Shore
- Sharp – Shanghai Hornpipe
- Lopez – Andalucia
- Shirmer – Suite for Shinichi
- Moore – Estampie
- Silvestri – Captain America March (O’Loughlin)
- Each season also features a special Holiday music concert with many seasonal favorites.